Proverbs 19:21 NLT
You can make many plans, but the Lord ’s purpose will prevail.
Here's the thought: 90% of goals and resolutions fail?!? Odds are you've already stopped trying to hit some of those goals that you set, and were so passionate about just a few weeks ago. Even though you prayed about them, thought about them and wrote them down… somehow you just lost steam. Really life got in the way and if you are honest, maybe some of those goals were a little unrealistic given where you are and what's going on in your life. Give yourself some grace! It's so easy to give grace to others, but sometimes you need to give grace to yourself! Now this isn't an excuse to just be lazy and not ever achieve anything you set out to do… but let's start with YOU! Where are you? What's going on in your life right now? Heres a few questions to help you discover where you are, so you can move forward with grace and purpose.
- Describe your personality. What's your DISC, Enneagram, Meyers Briggs etc. But also use descriptive words… are you outgoing, good with people, shy, funny, etc. Also what talents do you have? What are you good at? Then take some time and write down some not so great things.. maybe you can be over zealous, or impatient. Maybe you tend to be a workaholic or a little last minute.
- What are some wounds in your life? This can be from childhood, so something from this past year. Maybe you lost a loved one, or you were abused as a child. Maybe you didn't grow up with a dad, or anything else that may be a wound that you have in your life.
- What's your current life situation? Are you engaged, newly divorced, or maybe you're having a first child, or an empty nester? Write those down.
- What's going on professionally? Are you starting a new job, getting promoted or looking for your next opportunity?
- What are you feeling right now as we end the 1st month of the new year? Are you hopeful about anything? Anxious or stressed out about something coming up this year? Write those feelings down.
- Maybe write how you are doing spiritually. How would you rate your relationship with God, with other believers? Do you have a community that you are apart of?
Look at it as a snapshot of you. This is who you are, what you've been through and what you have going on. It's where you are right now. Now this snapshot may look really good and happy, or it may be filled with pain and loss, but God says this about every detail of your life…
Romans 8:28 TPT says
So we are convinced that every detail of our lives is continually woven together for good, for we are his lovers who have been called to fulfill his designed purpose.
He uses every detail and weaves it together for good because you are called to fulfill His purpose! He will use your talents and gifts, but He will also use your pains and lack for good to fulfill the purpose He has called you to! That's great news!
And now that you know where you are starting from this year and what you are carrying with you, you can finish the exercise by praying and thinking about your aspirations and goals for the rest of the year! The difference… now you have a realistic perspective of where you and the good, bad and ugly things that you have with you that God will use to help you fulfill His purpose for you in 2023!